The Fountain of the Turtles, located in the heart of the historic center, is one of the most beautiful in Rome.
It was built towards the end of 1500 based on a project by Giacomo della Porta and its existence is linked to a romantic legend. It seems that Duke Mattei, in order to show the father of his beloved that he was a powerful and wealthy man, and not the other way around as he thought, had the splendid fountain built in front of the windows of the palace where his son lived in a single night. loved.
The sculptures of the four young men raising their arms to help the turtles enter the upper pylon are attributed to Taddeo Landini, while the turtles were added in 1658 and are the work of Bernini.